Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) program is a ministry-approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements to graduate from secondary school. It also assists in their transition after graduation to apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace. Each Specialist High Skills Major is a bundle of 8 to 10 courses within a selected field/sector completed in grades 11 and 12. Students choosing a SHSM program learn on the job with employers as well as in school, earning valuable industry certification and training related to their chosen sector.
What are the Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs?
SHSM programs allow students to specialize their education around their chosen field of interest. Each SHSM program includes a bundle of 8-10 Grade 11 and 12 courses related to that area of interest.
Grade 11 and 12 students choose a major sector area such as:
- Arts and Culture
- Information and Communications Technology
- Justice, Community Safety and Emergency Services
- Health and Wellness
- Horticulture and Landscaping
- Social Justice
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Two Grade 11 and two Grade 12 specialized courses
- A co-operative education course
- Contextualized units in Math and English with focus in specific chosen sector
- Explore experiential learning, field trips and competitions
- Students complete a co-operative education placement in their chosen sector
- Earn sector recognized certificates
On completion of program students receive a red seal diploma and transcript record. In some cases students qualify for bursaries and scholarships towards post-secondary education.